Teams do not exist.
You cannot talk to a team. You cannot ask a team a question. Teams have no feelings or goals.
But but but…favourite soccer team, my team!
Sorry. They don’t exist.
Where a team can be observed, what you are actually seeing is:
- Each individual’s behaviours,
- in emergent response to what is going on around them,
- as processed through their archetype of what a team should be
- with their latest individual mental model of what their team currently is, and
- their individual role and purpose relative to the team at the given moment.
Protip: Stop talking to your teams. Start talking to your people.